Aug 31, 2021
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (Aug. 31, 2021) – PPL Electric Utilities is preparing for Tropical Storm Ida, which is expected to bring wind and heavy rain across its service territory Wednesday (9/1) into Thursday (9/2). PPL Electric Utilities, which is always prepared for whatever damage and outages storms may cause, urges customers to take time to make sure they’re ready.
“We have been tracking Ida very closely for several days and have a plan in place to address any outages that may occur,” said James Conrad, director of operations for PPL Electric Utilities. “Preparing for damaging storms is something we do throughout the year. We urge all of our customers to stay safe and prepare for the possibility that they may lose power.”
Taking time to prepare can go a long way in keeping you and your family out of harm’s way. September is National Preparedness Month, a good time to take stock of just how prepared you are for any emergency or power outage. Here are some things everyone can do:
- Prepare an emergency kit: Put together the essentials you may need in an emergency or loss of power, such as medicines, water, flashlights, a first aid kit, a battery-operated radio and extra batteries, enough perishable food for three days, a manual can opener, toiletry items and pet food. Have the kit easily available and make sure everyone knows where it is. Add a similar kit in your vehicle.
- Prepare for power outages: Consider identifying a place where your family can stay during periods when your home may be without power. If you rely on special medical equipment and medicine that must be refrigerated, have a backup plan in place in case you lose power.
- Ensure generators are operating safely: If you have a generator, look over the owner’s manual and make sure yours is operating properly. If your generator requires regular maintenance, consider doing that this month. And never use generators inside or in enclosed areas.
- Stay informed: Sign up for PPL Alerts at pplelectric.com/alerts. You can also check the status of an outage online at pplelectric.com/outage. Follow local, state and federal government social media sites to stay up to date on official information.
- Protect and power up: Keep important personal documents like insurance policies, birth certificates and bank account information in a fireproof box that you can grab at a moment’s notice. Have an emergency charging option for your phone and other devices.
- Learn more: For information on how to be prepared, visit www.ready.gov, a U.S. government website set up to help Americans prepare for and mitigate emergencies. Visit www.pplelectric.com/safety for tips on how to stay safe and prepare for emergencies.
PPL Electric Utilities provides electric delivery service to more than 1.4 million homes and businesses in Pennsylvania and ranks among the best utility companies in the country for customer service and reliability. PPL Electric Utilities is a major employer in the communities it serves. It is a subsidiary of PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL). For more information, visit www.pplelectric.com.
Customers can follow PPL Electric Utilities on Facebook (Facebook.com/PPLElectric), Twitter (Twitter.com/PPLElectric) and Instagram (Instagram.com/PPLElectric) to get up-to-the-minute news and information, energy efficiency tips, bill help, outage updates and more.
# # #
Note to Editors: Visit our media website at www.pplnewsroom.com.