May 24, 2017
The report presents a comprehensive record of PPL's operational, environmental and social sustainability performance.
"We recognize the responsibility we have to provide power safely and reliably and at a reasonable cost to our customers while growing value for our shareowners and advancing sustainable business practices," said William H. Spence, chairman, president and Chief Executive Officer of PPL Corporation. "The actions we take today to generate and deliver electricity can help shape our energy future for generations to come."
PPL's sustainability strategy centers on seven core commitments. The report highlights how the PPL family of companies is putting these sustainability commitments into action, including:
- Driving best-in-sector operational performance: For example, in 2016 PPL's utilities in Kentucky successfully completed a multi-year, $2.8-billion construction project to reduce emissions at four power plants — on time, under budget and with outstanding performance and safety records.
- Advancing a cleaner energy future: PPL's U.K. operations launched the largest electric vehicle trial of its kind in the U.K. to explore how a surge in electric vehicles might impact local distribution networks and to study how to best integrate them while maintaining system reliability.
- Building tomorrow's energy infrastructure: Investments in distribution automation technology by PPL's electric utility in Pennsylvania paid off with a record-setting year for reducing outage times in 2016, making it one of the most reliable utilities in the country.
- Exceeding customer expectations: In addition to each of PPL's U.S. utilities receiving customer satisfaction awards, PPL's U.K. operations were ranked by the country's utility regulator as the best in customer satisfaction. The utility also earned recognition for programs that help vulnerable customers.
- Fostering an exceptional workplace: PPL's investment in employee development creates an engaging environment where employees feel valued and able to grow into tomorrow's leaders.
- Strengthening communities: PPL invests in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) programs to interest students in STEM-related careers — just one of the many ways PPL supports local communities.
PPL details its performance using the Global Reporting Initiative framework, the most widely used standard for corporate responsibility reporting.
PPL's 2016 sustainability report is available online at http://www.pplsustainability.com/.
Headquartered in Allentown, Pa., PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) is one of the largest companies in the U.S. utility sector. PPL's seven high-performing, award-winning utilities serve 10.5 million customers in the U.S. and U.K. The company and its nearly 13,000 employees are dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and reliability and delivering superior value for shareowners. To learn more, visit http://www.pplweb.com/.
Note to Editors: Visit our media website at www.pplnewsroom.com for additional news and background about PPL Corporation.
Contacts: For news media – Lissette Santana, 610-774-5997