Jun 28, 2018
(ALLENTOWN, Pa.) — PPL Electric Utilities’ ongoing investments and maintenance of its power grid make it ready to handle the increased demand that comes with temperature extremes like the heat wave expected to start Friday (6/29).
“Our customers depend on us and we improve and maintain the power grid to be able to safely and reliably deliver electricity, no matter the weather,” said Steph Raymond, vice president of Distribution Operations for PPL Electric Utilities. “We don’t anticipate any significant problems due to the high temperatures.”
PPL had the most reliable year in its history in 2017 due to a variety of factors, including installation of more automated smart grid equipment, comprehensive tree trimming and clearing, investments in both new lines and substations, and the rebuilding of older lines. To help save energy and money, PPL recommends customers:
- Close blinds, drapes and shades during the day to block the sun.
- Minimize the use of heat-generating appliances – like the stove and dishwasher – during the day.
- Use ceiling fans or box fans to help stay cool. It costs much less to move air than to cool it.
- Keep air conditioner filters clean and be sure vents are not blocked by furniture or other objects.
- Caulk gaps around doors and windows to prevent hot air from entering your home.
- Create air flow in a two-story home by opening a downstairs window on the shady side of the home and an upstairs window on the hot side of the house.
Higher electric usage can mean higher electric bills in the summertime and heat waves can cause larger spikes. PPL Electric Utilities has a variety of programs to help those who may be struggling to pay their bills. Visit pplelectric.com/billhelp for more information.
PPL Electric Utilities provides electric delivery service to more than 1.4 million homes and businesses in Pennsylvania and ranks among the best utility companies in the country for customer service and reliability. PPL Electric Utilities is a major employer in the communities it serves. It is a subsidiary of PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL). For more information, visit pplelectric.com.
Visit our media website at pplnewsroom.com for additional news and background about PPL Corporation.