Utilities working with customers experiencing hardships, including those impacted by the government shutdown
(LOUISVILLE, Ky.) – Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Kentucky Utilities Company are committed to assisting customers who may be having difficulty managing their energy bills. With the current government shutdown, the utilities are reminding all customers, including those who are furloughed government employees, of the companies’ energy bill assistance options.
“We know that customers want to be comfortable in their homes and understand that certain circumstances, especially for those impacted by the shutdown, can pose challenges to that,” said LG&E and KU Vice President of Customer Services Beth McFarland. “We want them to know that we’re ready to provide assistance tailored to their specific situation.”
For furloughed workers who are LG&E or KU customers, the utilities have the following guidance:
- Contact the utility when you receive a disconnection notice – LG&E customers can call (502) 589-1444 or (800) 331-7370. KU customers can call (800) 981-0600.
- Provide proof of your government employment and furlough impact – The Customer Care representative assisting you will ask for this information to be faxed, emailed or presented in person.
- Develop a plan - After receiving the government employment and furlough impact information, the representative assisting you will help develop an individual plan to help address your energy bill concerns.
LG&E and KU offer a variety of programs and resources to assist customers in need of help managing their energy bills including those listed below:
- Budget Payment Plan – helps avoid seasonal peaks in your utility bills, by leveling payments out over the course of the entire year
- Heating Assistance Programs – LG&E’s Community Winterhelp and KU’s Community WinterCare are third party heating assistance programs that help families in need pay their winter heating bills. The programs offer assistance through support from customer donations and company matching contributions.
- Community Agencies – LG&E and KU work with community agencies across the utilities’ service territories to help match customers with available assistance.
For more information on LG&E and KU assistance programs, visit lge-ku.com/helpingyou.
Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Kentucky Utilities Company, part of the PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) family of companies, are regulated utilities that serve nearly 1.3 million customers and have consistently ranked among the best companies for customer service in the United States. LG&E serves 326,000 natural gas and 411,000 electric customers in Louisville and 16 surrounding counties. KU serves 553,000 customers in 77 Kentucky counties and five counties in Virginia. More information is available at www.lge-ku.com and www.pplweb.com.
For further information: call the LG&E and KU media hotline at 502–627–4999.