Jul 16, 2019
With the extreme heat predicted this weekend, PPL Electric Utilities encourages customers to prepare now to minimize the impact of higher temperatures and increased energy use on electric bills.
PPL Electric Utilities can help you beat the heat.
You can save energy and money, even in extreme heat, by following some simple tips.
- Make sure drapes and shades are pulled down during the day to block the hot sun.
- Wear light clothing and set your thermostat between 72 and 78 degrees. You will save energy for every degree higher you can set your thermostat. The federal Department of Energy recommends 78 degrees.
- Minimize the use of heat-generating appliances like dishwashers, stoves, washers and dryers during the warmest hours of the day. Incandescent light bulbs also produce heat, so switching to cooler and more efficient LED bulbs is a smart choice.
- Ceiling fans are economical and cost far less to use than air conditioners but use them only in occupied rooms because they work on the wind-chill effect to cool people. Plus, using a ceiling fan lets you raise the temperature setting on your thermostat by one to three degrees.
For more information on all PPL can do to help you be more energy efficient, visit savewithppl.com.
Heat safety is critical in avoiding heat-related illnesses. The National Weather Service reports about 175 Americans die from extreme heat in a normal year. Older adults, children and sick or overweight individuals are at greater risk from extreme heat.
- Find a cool place with air conditioning and check on elderly family members or neighbors.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises people to drink plenty of cool, non-alcoholic beverages as part of increased fluid intake.
- Never leave people or pets in a closed car.
- Avoid strenuous activity.
- If you are outside, find shade and wear a hat big enough to protect your face.
Extreme temperatures can increase your electric bill. PPL offers a variety of programs to help those who meet income requirements and are struggling to pay their bills. Many do not require that customers have an existing overdue balance to participate. More information is available at www.pplelectric.com/billhelp.
PPL Electric Utilities provides electric delivery service to more than 1.4 million homes and businesses in Pennsylvania and ranks among the best utility companies in the country for customer service and reliability. PPL Electric Utilities is a major employer in the communities it serves. It is a subsidiary of PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL). For more information visit www.pplelectric.com.
# # #
Note to Editors: Visit our media website at www.pplnewsroom.com for additional news and background about PPL Corporation.