(LOUISVILLE, Ky.) – With national factors driving higher heating costs and cooler temperatures setting in, Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Kentucky Utilities Company are reminding customers of simple tips to help manage energy use and energy bills. Weather is a major factor in energy use, with heating your home accounting for approximately 42% of your energy bill, according to Energy.gov.
To keep the warm air in and cold air out this winter, here are five easy steps that can help make a difference:
- Maintain your system – Have a certified professional give your furnace a tune-up to make sure it’s operating efficiently and ready to perform at its best. Don’t forget to change your filter each month or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Set your thermostat – If you have a programmable thermostat, you can set it lower when no one is home to maximize energy savings. Setting the thermostat to the lowest comfortable setting can help, and even just one degree can make a difference.
- Close up gaps – Take time now to caulk, spray foam or use weather-stripping to seal leaks and gaps around windows, doors and duct work.
- Use your ceiling fans – Set ceiling fans to run clockwise on low speed in the winter to circulate heat more efficiently. This creates an updraft that helps move warm air near the ceiling back out and around the room.
- Don’t block the heat – Open curtains and blinds on sun-facing windows to allow the sun’s rays to help naturally heat your home. Make sure registers are not blocked by drapes or furniture so warm air can easily circulate.
“During the cold weather months, it’s especially important that our customers know we are here to help,” said Vice President-Customer Services Eileen Saunders. “From energy-saving tips, our budget payment plans and access to community assistance programs, we want to empower our customers with every tool and resource possible.”
LG&E and KU encourage customers to contact them right away if in need of assistance managing their monthly bill. The utilities offer convenient self-service options online, with the mobile app, or through their automated phone system – access is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week – for scheduling payment arrangements or signing up for services such as a budget payment plan.
Financial assistance may be available to customers to help them catch up on their monthly bill with the help of community assistance programs. Resources and available programs can be found at lge-ku.com/assistance-programs.
Visit lge-ku.com/energy-efficiency-tips for more tips and videos to help guide you through applying weatherization techniques around your home.
Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Kentucky Utilities Company, part of the PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) family of companies, are regulated utilities that serve more than 1.3 million customers and have consistently ranked among the best companies for customer service in the United States. LG&E serves 332,000 natural gas and 425,000 electric customers in Louisville and 16 surrounding counties. KU serves 564,000 customers in 77 Kentucky counties and five counties in Virginia. More information is available at www.lge-ku.com and www.pplweb.com.
For further information: call the LG&E and KU media hotline at 502–627–4999.