PPL's Susquehanna Nuclear Plant Sets Generation Record
PRNewswire
BERWICK, Pa.

PPL's Susquehanna nuclear plant produced more electricity in 2001 than it has in any year since the plant began operation in 1983.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19981015/PHTH025 )

The two-unit plant, located in Luzerne County, Pa., generated more than 17.8 billion kilowatt-hours in 2001, breaking the previous record of 17.5 billion kilowatt-hours set last year.

"This record is a tribute to the outstanding efforts of dedicated PPL employees. Their commitment ensures that the Susquehanna plant provides safe, reliable electric service to northeastern and central Pennsylvania," said Herbert D. Woodeshick, special assistant to the president of PPL Corporation. "We achieved this generation record through improvements that support our focus on plant safety. The natural result is reliable equipment and excellent operating procedures."

Nuclear energy provides more than 30 percent of the electricity produced in Pennsylvania and about 20 percent in the United States. Woodeshick noted that 1 billion kilowatt-hours is enough electricity to provide for the annual needs of 100,000 households in the eastern U.S., where PPL Susquehanna's electricity is marketed.

"Not only does the Susquehanna plant provide efficient electric power with minimal impact on the environment, but it also is an integral part of the community," Woodeshick said.

The plant employs about 1,100 people full-time, has an annual payroll of more than $100 million and is the largest taxpayer in Luzerne County. Plant workers participate in civic and business organizations, serve in public offices, contribute thousands of dollars to charitable campaigns, and volunteer in public services, he said.

Nuclear power accounts for roughly 20 percent of PPL's nearly 10,000-megawatt generation business.

PPL Susquehanna LLC operates the Susquehanna plant and owns 90 percent of it; Allegheny Electric Cooperative Inc. owns the remaining 10 percent. Unit 1 began commercial operations in June 1983, and Unit 2 joined it in February 1985.

The Susquehanna plant is located in Luzerne County about five miles north of Berwick, Pa.

PPL Susquehanna is one of PPL Corporation's generating facilities. Headquartered in Allentown, Pa., PPL Corporation generates electricity at power plants in Pennsylvania, Maine and Montana; markets wholesale or retail energy in 42 U.S. states and Canada; and delivers electricity to nearly 6 million customers in Pennsylvania, the United Kingdom and Latin America.

MAKE YOUR OPINION COUNT - Click Here

http://tbutton.prnewswire.com/prn/11690X51606533

NewsCom: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19981015/PHTH025

PRN Photo Desk, 888-776-6555 or 212-782-2840

SOURCE: PPL Corporation

Contact: Herbert D. Woodeshick of PPL Corporation, +1-570-759-2285

Website: http://www.pplweb.com/

News and Financial Alerts

Subscribe to receive timely alerts about company news, financial performance, SEC filings and upcoming events.

Subscribe to Financial Alerts