PPL Names New General Manager-Nuclear Assurance

PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) announced today (1/30) that George A. Williams is the new general manager of Nuclear Assurance for PPL's Susquehanna nuclear plant, effective Feb. 19.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19981015/PHTH025 )

Williams comes to PPL after two years at Carolina Power & Light, in Raleigh, N.C., where he most recently was general manager of Plant Operations. In that capacity, he was responsible for the safe, reliable and economic generation of 5,000 megawatts of energy at seven generating stations in Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina. For 15 years before that, he served in a variety of executive and management positions with the former PECO Energy Company, in Philadelphia.

To PPL, Williams brings 17 years of broad experience in the electric generation industry -- including nuclear plant operations, strategic planning and budgeting, mergers and acquisitions, organizational change initiatives and labor relations management.

In his new position at PPL, Williams reports directly to Robert G. Byram, PPL's Senior Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer. In this position, Williams will direct the functions of the Independent Safety Engineering Group, Quality Assurance, the Employee Concerns Program and Assessment Services.

"George Williams strengthens our PPL Susquehanna senior management team at a critical time when we are progressing toward our goal of ranking among the top 25 percent in performance among the nation's 107 nuclear plants by year- end 2001, and to stay there for years to come," Byram said.

"We have succeeded in attracting high-caliber executives and managers in recent years to our Nuclear organization, and we are benefiting from their diversity of views and experiences with some of the best practices being implemented in the nuclear power industry today," Byram said.

Among Williams' accomplishments during his 17-year career, he has achieved recognition for nuclear outage management, productivity improvements, expense reductions, cross-functional training and mentoring programs, and new business strategies.

He earned a B.S. degree in electrical engineering from Widener University, Chester, Pa., and an MBA from St. Joseph's University, Philadelphia.

PPL Susquehanna, LLC operates the plant, located in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, about seven miles north of Berwick, and owns 90 percent of it; Allegheny Electric Cooperative, Inc. owns the remaining 10 percent.

PPL Susquehanna is a subsidiary of PPL Generation, which operates nearly 10,000 megawatts of generating capacity in Pennsylvania, Maine and Montana. PPL also is developing another 4,000 megawatts of capacity in Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Arizona and Washington state.

The PPL Corporation family of companies also markets wholesale or retail energy in 42 U.S. states and Canada; and delivers electricity to nearly 6 million customers in Pennsylvania, in the United Kingdom and in Latin America.

NewsCom: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19981015/PHTH025

PRN Photo Desk, 888-776-6555 or 201-369-3467

SOURCE: PPL Corporation

Contact: Herb Woodeshick of PPL, 570-759-2285

News and Financial Alerts

Subscribe to receive timely alerts about company news, financial performance, SEC filings and upcoming events.

Subscribe to Financial Alerts